When did the foundation of your life begin to crack?
that shattered your illusions
once and for all?
There are a million ways for our hearts to break;
There are a million reasons to fall apart;
There is one God, who rushes in
to seal every fissure with Love.
On the surface, our stories are unique.
But the Truth is:
We’re on 8 billion different journeys
to the same realization.
God is extremely creative.
Somehow in all of our diverse life circumstances, He creates it so we share similar underlying emotional experiences, which unite us in one common humanity. At some point in life, we all experience joy and love. And at some point in life, we all experience fear and sorrow, along with a wide range of positive and negative emotions.
Though some of us face bigger challenges than others, we are all vulnerable to the same struggles in our humanity, and we all suffer from time to time. Though most of us can’t relate to the extreme suffering of (for example) fleeing our homes, due to violence like refugees, we can all at least imagine how hard it must be for them, due times we ourselves have felt scared and overwhelmed.
The mystic poet Rumi wrote “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” Today, I encourage you to reflect on the heartbreaking times of your life and invite God’s healing light into them. All He needs is an invitation to “seal every fissure” of your brokenness with love.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself and perhaps explore through journaling:
- What was the most difficult time of your life?
- What did you learn about yourself through that hard time?
- Where was God, while you were struggling?
- Could you sense the Holy Spirit with you at the time?
- Looking back now, can you see how He was strengthening, supporting and guiding you through that time?
- Has anything good happened in your life that would have never happened if you hadn’t gone through that difficult time?
- Through that pain, did you grow in compassion for others and a sense of solidarity with those in need?
- Did you remember to pray through that hard time?
Lord, You told the apostle Paul “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) But in our humanity, we struggle to trust You with our own weaknesses, in our own times of need. Please increase our faith, and be with us in our brokenness. Be our strength in times of weakness and our joy in times of sorrow. Help is to connect in solidarity with those in need through experiences of our shared humanity. Help us to grow closer to You through our trials. Thank you!
In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
How have you experienced Gods love through your own personal struggles and weaknesses? Comment below, and I will be happy to lift you in prayer!