just another heart pierced
by the sorrows of this world,
open enough notice I’m not alone,
joined with the chorus of longing
for a love big enough
to heal the ache
just another soul seeking wisdom
from our Divine Mother,
who has been through it all and more
and is miraculously still
overflowing with grace
The Rosary of Seven Sorrows of Mary is one of my favorite Catholic devotionals and has brought me much peace and interior consolation during the most difficult times of my life.
When I pray it, I just have a conversation with the Mother of God, basically telling her what I’m going through or what someone else I love is going through and asking for her advice, based on her toughest experiences, which are contained in the seven mysteries. I see it as a deep heart-to-heart conversation my Divine Mother, an opportunity to ask her: “How on earth did you do it all, especially while remaining perfectly without sin?”
It feels like a safe conversation, much safer than is possible with anyone here on earth. There will never be judgement, projection, competition, pride, resentment or envy mixed in with love from the Mother of God. Not only is Mary pure of heart in heaven, she even manged to remain entirely full of grace, while on earth. She’s everything we can hope to be and far more since the rest of us make mistakes along our journeys through life, especially through the trials and tribulations we go through.
Over the time through the prayers, I enter into stillness, and her peace descends into my heart, and I experience insights that help me navigate life. Mary is an infinitely wise and generous mother, who is perfectly united to God’s will and has many blessings to offer anyone who spends time speaking with her in prayer and meditation.
I find meditating on the sorrows of Mary to be consoling because so often in our society, we are judged for suffering. To really ponder the extent to which the Mother of God suffered in spite of being completely blameless is liberating and helpful in accepting our own crosses without blaming ourselves, though She is especially masterful at gently making us aware of areas we could use improvement, which we all have.
Promises of Our Lady to those who pray the Seven Sorrows Rosary
To Saint Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373)
In the 14th Century, Our Lady entrusted the following 7 promises to those who pray the Seven Sorrows Rosary to Saint Bridget of Sweden:
- I will grant peace to their families.”
- ”They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.”
- ”I will console them in their pains and will accompany them in their work.”
- ”I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.”
- ”I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
- ”I will visibly help them at the moment of their death– they will see the face of their mother.”
- ”I have obtained this grace from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.
To Marie Claire of Kibeho, Rwanda (1961-1994)
More recently, Mary entrusted these promises to Marie Claire of Kibeho, Rwanda for those, who persist in devotion to the Seven Sorrows Rosary.
- With the recitation of the Seven Sorrows Rosary, the hardest hearts shall change, if you pray it for yourself or for others.
- By the recitation of the Seven Sorrows Rosary, you shall be freed from obsessions and addictions.
- This rosary when said from the heart, it will win us true repentance of our sins and free our souls from guilt and remorse.
- Those who say it often, especially as re-commended by Our Lady to Marie Claire, on Tuesdays and Fridays, shall obtain clear understanding of their weaknesses and flaws causing them to sin and those things we don’t like about ourselves and thought were a part of our character, shall change.
- You shall obtain whatever you ask for through this rosary, praying this rosary from the heart.
- More than ever, the world needs the Seven Sorrows Rosary.
How to pray the Rosary of Seven Sorrows
What is your experience with the Rosary of Seven Sorrows? Do you have any questions about this special devotion? Comment below, and I will be delighted to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Lord, help us to cultivate a relationship of honoring Your Mother, who was conceived without sin and gifted with the grace to bring you to earth. Help us to entrust our faith to her, knowing she would only ever point us back to You and help us fulfill Your plan for our lives, like she did. In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.
written by Nicky Gant 2/5/2020 for http://www.uniteinprayer.org